Here is a list of some of the popular dental filling materials:
Technological advancements can be realized in every sector, there isn’t any fallacy in this. The rapid progressions have made our lives simpler from convoluted.
Despite these incessant progressions in dental hygiene and dental care, the present era continues to see mundane tooth decay problems in both adults and children. These issues need to be paid heed to on a timely basis, failing which may lead to serious repercussions in the shape of abscessed and falling teeth-for instance. Thus, the need for the essential hour is to pay a visit to a dentist on a time-to-time basis. This way; your teeth are on the regular surveillance of a professional and he/she will inform you well before about issues that may evoke shortly. So, if you intend to empower your teeth to thrive ditching any sort of contingencies, get connected to our Northville dentist for an amazing dental experience.
Further, this post throws light on some of the materials that are used to fill cavities in the teeth. Keep reading to get yourself enlightened about them:
- Silver amalgam
- Glass ionomers
Whilst any of the above-mentioned can be utilized to brim cavities, it primarily depends upon the prevalent condition. Once again, it’s your dentist who is in an appropriate position to decide the further course of action. When deciding on which material to pick out, it fundamentally hangs on these essential factors: severity of the decay, location of the cavity in your mouth, and the budget consideration-for instance. Based on the outcome of these observations, the aficionado is likely to proceed with the treatment.
Let’s talk about the characteristics of these materials individually. Basically, the intent is for more illumination, so that you can make an informed decision.
- Gold– Quite strong, non-corrosive and the ability to last for several years are some attributes that make these fillings immensely popular among users. The only downside is that such materials are usually straining on the pocket. Additionally, these may require more than a single visit to an orthodontist to be fitted consummately. A gold filling has exceptional durability. If someonecan afford it, they can relish its privileges for more than 20 years.
- Silver amalgam– Another material that is acclaimed for its strong and sturdy nature. It usually fits into the cavity quite readily, making the job easier for the dentist. What’s more, silver amalgam does not contaminate by blood or saliva, which may be encountered with other materials. Usually, individuals overlook having these fillings as they find it less pleasing. Another concerning factor is the presence of mercury (neurotoxin) in a silver amalgam that perturbs many. Due to this, many users prefer other varieties of alternatives.
- Composite fillings– If you aspire for a material that resembles pretty similar to the color of your teeth, there’s no better option than composite fillings. However, these materials are bling that may cost you an arm and leg. Plus, the durability factor is also a major concern with these fillings and has to be replaced after 5 to 10 years.
- Ceramic fillings. These fillings are renowned for their ultimate capacity to last a good number of years. Alongside, such materials are also quite aesthetically pleasing. Its limitation: cost way more than their counterparts silver amalgam. Moreover, since these fillings are formulated with porcelain, over time it gets rough and can impact the opposite tooth.
- Glass ionomers– To apprise you; this strain of filling is usually considered to be fairly weak. Thus, these are seen as viable options for baby teeth. Another pivotal fact linked with these materials is that these assist to release fluoride, thwarting further tooth decay. Glass ionomers aren’t preferred as they can endure only a handful of years before they need essential replacement. Besides, traditional glass ionomers cannot precisely mimic the original color of the teeth.
To wrap up
The above was a glance at some of the popular cavity filling materials. To have additional information on these, our Platinum Dental Care professionals are available to brace you. You may also enquire from them about the trending clip-on dentures and other dental techniques to maintain oral hygiene.